Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Diet Update - Swallowing the Bitter Pill

Okay, it's more like swallowing the "digestive bitters" and about 30 pills a day. Ugh.

Just thought I'd share my supplements with you guys - in an effort to help you understand all this diet entails. As you can see, I am taking a little bit of everything, for a little bit of everything. People keep asking me if I think the diet is helping... but I can't figure out if it's the diet or all these pills!

I will say that the symptoms I struggled with before are gone (praise God!) but they've been replaced with "die off symptoms" from the parasites and yeast so I can't say I feel that much better. Until the exhaustion, achyness, stomach issues, and skin issues (apparently your skin is affected first when your body is flushing toxins out of its system) go away, I don't think I'm going to feel that much better. And until my other issues are resolved (which I talk about later in this post) and I am able to eat somewhat "normally" again - I won't feel like this was a success. My quality of life has got to improve before I can say this was "worth it".



I take a handful of pills 2 or 3 times a day, every day. Here's the rough part - I HATE swallowing pills. I didn't actually learn to swallow pills until I was about 14 - and as an adult I still gag almost every time I have to swallow them. So, between forcing down food I don't really like at every meal, and swallowing a bunch of pills that make me gag - I don't really enjoy lunch or dinnertime anymore.

There's also this disgusting liquid stuff called "digestive bitters" that are supposed to help with digestion. Not only is it super bitter - but the taste stays in your mouth for several minutes even after drinking water. BLECH!

My favorite "means of torture" though - are these little vials...



They're a homeopathic prescription for Candida Albicans. The ingredients are - Candida Albicans, Demineralized water, and Ethanol. Yes, I said ETHANOL! (Isn't that what they put in gasoline?!) Every 3 days I have to pour a vial under my tongue and hold it there for 1 full minute before swallowing. It burns like FIRE, and breathing with it in my mouth is like breathing in a bottle of liquor. Rusty says I smell like I've been taking shots once I get it down. It is super disgusting, and as an added bonus it makes me sick for 1 to 2 days after I take it, each time I take it (fun, fun, fun!)

But the worst part of all this, is what is missing. If you've read my last few blogs, then you know that on top of being diagnosed with Candida overgrowth (yeast) in my intestines, tissues and bloodstream AND a gluten and dairy intolerance AND parasites - I was also diagnosed with a seratonin deficiency AND adrenal fatigue. For those of you who don't know what that means - the seratonin deficiency can cause sleep issues and depression, and the adrenal fatigue can cause mood swings, angry outbursts, depression, feelings of emptyness, severe fatigue, mental fog/memory problems, decreased ability to handle stress, and the list goes on and on and on.

I've actually been diagnosed with this issue before, but I didn't realize the full affect of it (I was told it just made me tired). I was so thankful to have an explanation for the way I'd been feeling the past couple of years! I just knew that my emotional state was not "normal" for me. It had gotten bad enough that I'd started telling Rusty that I felt like something was wrong. I cried much more than I should - but tried to blame it on "homesickness" because we were living in Michigan. I was exhausted all the time, but thought it was just the cloudy weather up north. I felt overwhelmed and inadequate on a regular basis. Our Thailand trip was really a "red flag",  because I struggled to feel excited about things that would normally THRILL me in the past. I just kept telling Rusty, "Emotionally, I don't feel like myself. I feel empty... too even-kill." Many days, I felt like I was just "going through the motions".

The problem is, in this crazy, long, expensive list of supplements (pictured above), there wasn't even ONE to help with my adrenal fatigue!! The past 19 days have literally been HELL for me and my husband, because of the emotional rollercoaster I've been on. If this diet is enough to make someone otherwise healthy and balanced, irritable, depressed, or angry - imagine what is does to someone with emotional issues! But instead of understanding what was going on in my body - the whole time I thought I was just a raging #*&%! and a terrible wife. I had no idea my issues weren't being treated at ALL! (Apparently, the natural health practitioner just forgot to add that treatment in!)

To say that I'm frustrated would be an understatement. 2 and 1/2 weeks of fighting so hard for my health (after 18+ months of sickness and crazy symptoms), and I had no idea one of my biggest problems wasn't even being addressed. I am thankful I called the natural health practitioner back to ask specifically which supplement was for my adrenal fatigue - otherwise this may never have been treated!

I am hoping, and praying, that once my new supplements arrive (hopefully this week) I will start to feel more balanced (and sane) again! I desperately want to feel like my old self - for my sake and for my husband's! I have been fighting so hard to find JOY for so long, and I'm thankful that now I know what the problem was. It wasn't the condition of my heart - it was just the condition of my adrenal glands!

No comments:

Post a Comment