Saturday, October 15, 2011

Kisses from Katie

Sorry for the "downer" of a blog post yesterday friends! I promise I'll do better at sharing happy things with you - like the #1 thing I'm looking forward to this weekend.....

KATIE DAVIS IS COMING TO BIRMINGHAM!

For those of you who don't know who Katie Davis is, she's the 22 year old author of the new book, Kisses from Katie. You may also know her as the author of one of my favorite blogs by the same name (Kisses from Katie).


If you're wondering what a 22 year old has to say of importance, let me give you a little background info on her. Katie, once her high-school homecoming queen, left her comfortable Brentwood, TN life behind to move to Uganda. At the age of 19, she adopted a little orphan girl - and in the years that followed, she adopted 12 more. That's right - this beautiful 22 year old from Tennessee is now "Mom" to 13 little girls in Uganda. She also started Amazima ministries, helps run a feeding program and health clinic for her community, and every day lives her life as "Jesus with skin on" to the people in desperate need around her.

If I had to describe her, I would say she is my generation's Mother Theresa. I'm sure she would shy away from that title, as I've read nothing but sincere humility in her posts. But I can't help but be challenged, convicted, humbled and inspired every time I read her blog.

And now, she has written a BOOK that I cannot wait to get my hands on! (You can order your copy here and a portion of the proceeds will go to support her ministry.) And even better - she is coming to speak at the Church of Brookhills this SUNDAY (ie- tomorrow!) at their 9 AM, 11 AM, and 6 PM services.

She is high up on the list of people I'd like to meet before I die, and Rusty and I will definitely be going to hear her at the 6pm service. We're also bringing along my parents, little brother, and his girlfriend. If you're in the Birmingham area (or within driving distance) I hope you'll come too!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read Amy Carmichal's biography? She reminds me so much of her. I wish we lived closer so we could come hear her! Let us know how the talk goes and if you get a chance to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE tell how it was!! I have been following her blog for quite a while now!!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete