Monday, February 6, 2012

Shopping from the Kids' Rack

Let's do a fun blog today... shall we? It's a blog about something that I don't normally talk a lot about on here - FASHION!

Face it, any former pageant girl has to love fashion. One of my favorite hobbies is "shopping", and adore any reason to get all dressed up! I just try not to focus on fashion too much in life, because to me, there are more important things than having a designer fill-in-the-blank.

So, I try to be current without overspending. One way of doing that is avoiding too many "trendy" items, and instead investing in pieces that stand the test of time. That... and always shopping the sale rack!

But today, I thought I'd share my latest very trendy find with you, along with a tip that might help you score a crazy good deal like I did.

Ready for it? Here it comes... I suggest that you shop the kids' rack. No - not for your child. No - not for your friend's child! Believe it or not, if you are petite (like me) you might actually find something on the kids' rack that could fit you!

Now, before you start calling me crazy - check out my new purchase. Aqua skinny jeans for only $5!!! These were originally $46, but they were crazy marked down because they are LITTLE BOYS JEANS! (And what little boy would want to wear pale aqua skinny jeans? I grew up with 2 brothers and let me tell ya - pigs would fly before they would wear these!) So, needless to say, TJ Maxx just kept marking them down and marking them down. I couldn't resist trying them on, only to find that they FIT (and are really cute!)


Here's a pic for those of you who don't believe me - wearing my Levi's Supper Skinny Boys Jeans - Size 18. It's not the best pic (I was just trying them on to show my husband) but you get the idea! They are actually a little more "aqua" in person.

I found similar styles online at Nordstrom for $104 and Macy's for $98, which made me even happier about my find :)

And if you think it's just because I'm teeny tiny, you're wrong. I have everything from a 2 to an 8 in my closet, and typically wear a medium or large in some things. The actual measurements on these jeans are a 29 x 29.

I've been resisting colored jeans for months now, because they make me think of the 80's every time I see them. But when I tried these on they were just too much fun to pass up! And let's face it, for $5 I could wear them twice and get my money's worth!

If I were you, I would definitely check out the kid's rack next time you shop. It's the style these days to wear things flowy and there's a lot of elastic in skirts and tops. Who knows? You might find a little girl's maxi skirt in a size 16 and turn it into the perfect "just below the knee" skirt for you!

Now, for those of you who aren't petites, there is still another rack you can check out too (especially if you're tall and have longer arms!) I'd encourage you to check out the men's clearance rack next time you're looking for a good deal. Yes, the cuts are typically unflattering for women - but you just never know! Some companies even make "boyfriend style" jeans and pants (I have some gray ones made my Hurley that I love!) You have about as much luck on the men's rack as I do on the kids' rack... it's a "treasure hunt" of sorts. I did see some XS and S thin hoodies the other night marked way down on the men's rack because they were purple and light green. I'm convinced they would've been super cute on a woman!

If you find any good deals on the kids' rack or men's rack in the next few weeks, be sure to share them with us in the comment section. Happy shopping ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. Ericka, you are too funny. Being a petite girl, I may actually try this trick. Who knows? I have been wanting some black skinny jeans lately... talk about rocking the 80s again or a Lands End catalogue, they were the ones with the multi-colored jeans forever right?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it girl! You'll have to let me know what you find. I was given black "jeggings" as a gift - still not sure how I feel about them. A big part of me just cannot believe colored jeans came back in style! I keep waiting to see someone wearing a hotpink windbreaker suit... any day now... ;)

      Delete